The Reality of the Work




Fashion, style, dresses, racks, Starbucks....There are so many things that make wardrobe styling fun and exciting but at the end of the day....it is still work. Most of us are very sensitive about the way we look so if someone is trusting you with the responsibility of deciding on their image, that is not something to be taken lightly. This weekend I had the pleasure of working with Bianca Chardei who is an America's Next Top Model cycle 13 contestant, published model, and motivational speaker. She has appeared on New York Fashion Week runways, national campaigns, red carpets, and is now a media correspondent for Fox 5. With all that being said, her appearance is a major part of her brand. 



I styled her for two events, the first being the exclusive TGT ( Tyrese, Genuwine,Tank) listening party and the second being a nightlife event she was hosting. I worked hard all week along side my mentor Camille trying to gather enough wardrobe for her to choose from. When asking for permission to pull some designers and boutiques said no and others didn't even give the courtesy of responding. I was stressed to the max awaiting these responses. Thankfully I was able to pull from three amazing sources. I spent two days running around the DMV from 6 am, carrying bags and a heavy garment bag in the summer heat, jumping from car service to trains, trying to collect all these clothes in time for Bianca's fitting. I was so scared of failing and not being able to satisfy my client but I refused to give up. I was absolutely exhausted by the time I finally met with Bianca but so grateful that I was able to present a rack full of clothes to her.
       You would think that's where the drama ends but no there's always more. Now I'm faced with the task of piecing the clothing together in a way that I think will represent my brand adequately, fit her personal taste, and be receptive by the public. It's scary because you don't want to make the wrong choices and you're always wondering if you should do more or less. If the client isn't happy with their look and the response they get from their peers they will NEVER call you again. I'm in stage one of my career so these first impressions can make or break me. In this industry you want to always be making connections so you can be referred to others. You can't just apply to be some one's stylist. You MUST be connected. All in all I think Bianca was happy with her looks.  I really enjoyed my time with her and our weekend together ended with a cool one on one talk that gave me some valuable lessons on the industry. I like the way the looks turned out as well but I'm a work in progress, always looking to grow so I'll always be my worst critique. A major thank you to Violet Boutique, Haus of Falencia'go, and De'Homme customs for working with me and I look forward to future projects. Don't be afraid to comment below with your opinions of what I styled her in. Stay blessed every one and have a great week. 
Signed KOP


Waiting on Bianca Chardei, making sure everything is in place before she arrives


Look one at the TGT listening party. Snake skin sleeve crop top by Violet Boutique DC and black joggers with snake skin and gold silk patch by De'Homme Customs



Bianca and I, I was trying to keep it simple



Bianca shouts me out on her instagram :-)


Bianca wearing the origami cage dress by Haus of Falencia'go



0 comments:

Post a Comment