Access Granted

  

      Today was long, tedious, yet absolutely amazing. This is definitely not a shock to me because any day that I get the opportunity to do what I love is great day. The squad decided to pull together a shoot at the final hour and I am almost positive it was a success. After I receive the prints I will update you with my final critique. I can not say it was without difficulty because there were a few solid bumps in the road. One of the things that  definitely stand out is the hunt for the pull. For all that may not know stylists borrow clothing for different projects. As an aspiring stylist just starting off, without an extensive look book and long list of celebrity clientele it is hard to get designers, showrooms, and boutiques to agree to let me pull from them.  One its a liability for the safety of their merchandise. Two they may not benefit if the project isn't going to be seen in a major publication or on a A-List celeb at a red carpet event. Lastly three they don't what their name affiliated with anything that's NOT HOT. Brand preservation is what it's all about. So in a nutshell it is a real task trying to get someone to take a chance on a kid.  After doing a lot of research, my awesome publicist Camille Davis reaching out to people, and a few dead ends, I was given access to a vintage consignment shop located in the Adams Morgan area called Meeps.
       You think the struggle is over? ITS NOT. I didn't get to pull till a few hours before the shoot and since its vintage consignment I had no idea what was going to be available. When I arrived and looked at the racks I realized the clothes were great and I wanted to get some things for myself but they had nothing to do with the original concept I was going for. At this point the photographer is at location setting up and hair and makeup is already underway which means there is no going back and no other options. So what did I do? IMPROVISE I scanned those racks over and over and over again, looking for the concept and looking for the story. Finally I pulled together this "ode to America shoot which included a vintage Harley Davidson jacket, some old school baseball jerseys, an authentic navy uniform shirt and some MIU MIU pants. I am so thankful to Meeps for trusting me and even though it was definitely a style challenge I am grateful for the opportunity to exercise my fashion brain. It won't always be easy and that is something I need to be prepared for. I won't even get to talking about how the second looks were put together from random pieces Camille threw in a suitcase from her closet.
           All in all we had a pretty dope shoot and I am too excited to get the final prints back. Below are some BTS shots of course. Love is Love

Signed KOP

Finding the Harley


Deciding on accessories

Screening racks


Fitting a model

Trying to preserve the look in 90 degree heat


Getting together before her session began 


0 comments:

Post a Comment